- For Making Molds and Cores for Metal Casting
- Quickly Hardens Sand Using CO2 Gas, No Baking Required
- Use to make both cores and molds from dry sand of your choice
- Includes additives to assist in mold stability and shakeout
- Highly concentrated formula gives excellent surface finish
Super-Silicate is a high-performance foundry sand core binder designed for making both molds and cores for use in metal casting. Super-Silicate is a specially processed form of sodium silicate blended with shakeout-assisting additives that is designed to be cured with CO2 gas. The special processing of this product gives it advantages over normal sodium silicate--namely a 1.5/100 weight mix ratio (vs 4/100 or more) which acts to improve surface finish due to the reduction of water mixed into the core sand.
Choosing Sand: Use with 50 to 130 mesh fineness Kiln-dried and free of organic debris Very fine sand requires a higher percentage mix (not exceeding 4%) Fine sand will likely require core vents
Curing: Use CO2 via injection, flow-through, or bagging Use minimum amount of CO2 possible for best results Always verify sand is fully cured before pouring molten metal Yield: Up to 100lb sand per 16 FL OZ
Note that while it is ideal to have a CO2 cylinder or other high-volume CO2 source for use with this, our testing has shown that using something as simple as vinegar and baking soda mixed in a bag can be used in a pinch.